- Parent and Family Programs
- Membership Levels
- Join the Parents Advisory Council
- Give to the Parents Fund
- Parent and Family Weekend
- Family of the Year Nomination Form (PDF)
- Honors College Parents Association
Western Kentucky University Parents Association strives to engage parents and family members of current WKU students as partners in ensuring student success. The Association provides the parents and family members of current WKU students with campus knowledge as well as a direct connection with University administrators.
The Parents Association is governed by the Parents Advisory Council that meets three times per academic year. During meetings, Council members hear reports from essential staff, interact with University administrators in attendance, and advocate needs and concerns of other WKU parents and family members.
The Parents Advisory Council initiated a Parents Association Endowment, known as the Parents Fund, with the goal of accumulating $100,000 in gifts to strengthen the Family of the Year award that began in 2007. The Family of the Year award recognizes the family of a current WKU student, selected based on the student's essay submission. Currently, the award winner receives a $500 scholarship. With a fully endowed fund of $100,000 the scholarship award will grow to nearly $5,000 annually.
In addition to growing the Family of the Year student scholarship, gifts to the Parents Fund help the Parents Advisory Council support student directed initiatives and non-university funded programs that support student success. Thanks to the generous donations of Parents Association members in the form of membership dues and annual gifts, the Parents Advisory Council has been able to fund several projects including:
- Emergency telephone pole installations
- Leadership development programs
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month events
- Textbooks for Troops textbook rental program from active military and their dependents
- Campus beautification projects
- University Police Explorers and Sports Club uniforms
Gifts to the Parents Fund help the Parents Association enrich the lives of WKU students for years to come.