Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to live on campus?

Freshmen & Sophomores are required to live on campus. Exemptions for this policy include students who:

  • are married
  • have dependent children
  • commuting from parents' or guardians' permanent address (50 miles or less)
  • military veterans of 181 days or more
  • 21 years of age or older
  • special circumstances

Learn More and Apply for an Exemption

How do I apply for housing at WKU?

Everyone interested in living on campus needs to complete a Housing Agreement. You may download an agreement and mail it in or you can apply on-line through Topnet. Once you have the agreement, read the Terms and Conditions, complete it and mail it to the address listed with a $150.00 deposit.

Learn more about how to apply for housing

What is the duration of the Housing Agreement?

The Housing Agreement is for the full academic year or any portion of that year that is remaining at the time you sign the agreement. We are on the semester system and the academic year consists of the Fall and Spring semesters. If the contract is broken before the end of the year and you remain a full-time student, you will be assessed a $750.00 contract termination and forfeit the $150.00 deposit.

How are room assignments made?

There are two assignment processes, one for returning residents and one for new residents. All assignments are made on a first come, first served basis. Returning residents who renew their housing in the Spring semester for the upcoming Fall semester are assigned before they leave for summer break. We then begin assigning all new residents in April and continue throughout the summer.

When will I receive my room assignment?

Room assignments begin to be released mid-June and continue throughout the summer. You will be able to view your housing on Topnet.

What appliances can I use in my room?

Approved appliances include: stereos, televisions, VCR/DVD players, computers, clocks, coffee makers, hair dryers, lamps, curling irons, curlers, fans, compact refrigerators (5 cubic feet or less) and microwaves (1000 watts or less). All appliances must be UL approved.

What appliances are not permitted?

Due to general safety and fire codes, certain restrictions must be placed on the use of certain appliances. The following items may not be used in student bedrooms: halogen lamps, potpourri kettles, George Foreman grills, crock pots, hot plates, grills, electric skillets, toasters, and toaster ovens. Basically anything with an open coil or element is not permitted. There are kitchens in every residence hall for residents to use. Coffee Makers are permitted in the residence hall rooms.

Where do I receive mail?

Each residence hall has a bank of mailboxes located in the lobby area. Each resident's room key will open their mailbox which corresponds with their room number. The US Postal Service makes daily deliveries and pick-ups from each hall with the exception of Sundays and holidays. There is also a full service Post Office located on campus.

What size are the mattresses?

All mattresses on campus are size extra long twin - 80" x 36"

How can I connect to the internet in my room?

If students are connecting to the Internet via a wireless connection, there are no restrictions or authentication measures.  Simply initiate a web browser.  If students are connecting via a wired connection in the residence halls, students need launch a web browser and follow the process of installing the Network Access Control (NAC) client to their computer. (Cisco NAC Instructions)


If you encounter issues with the internet connection, please contact TopperTech through the IT Helpdesk or by calling (270)745-7000.

Does the University provide insurance for resident's property?

No. We urge each student to purchase some form of insurance, whether it be renter's insurance or a rider on their parent's homeowner's insurance. The University is not liable for theft, damage or loss of personal belongings from any part of the residence hall. National Student Services is a company that provides student insurance.

What should I bring when coming to live on campus?

Your residence hall room will soon become your "home away from home" and we want you to bring whatever items you will need to make it comfortable. Please refer to the WKU Move In Guide for a list of items to bring with you and items to leave at home.

What should I know about Meningitis?

 Visit WKU Health Services for more information.

What is the cable channel line up in the residence halls?

View the Cable Channel LIst

View the AOL TV Schedule Listing 

Does Housing & Residence Life offer student employment positions?


Yes! Visit to view information about all student positions. 

All students must meet eligibility requirements and have a FAFSA on file to be eligible to work for WKU Housing & Residence Life.

Where can I find the terms and policies for Housing & Residence Life?

You can view the Residence Hall Handbook called "Hilltopics for Residence Hall Living" here:

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 7/20/18