Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Apply for WKU Housing

Apply for Housing at WKU

Apply for Housing at WKU

Western Kentucky University Housing is "more than just a place to live" during your WKU experience! The housing application will allow you to list your top preferences for which residence hall you desire to live in. You can explore the residence halls before you get started! 

When should I apply for housing?

The priority deadline for housing applications is March 31.

We accept housing applications all year long. Apply before March 31st to have the best chance of receiving your top preferences that you list on your housing application. 

If you apply by March 31st, your fall housing assignment will be available to view on your Topnet account in mid-June (date subject to change). You will receive an email when your assignment is ready to view. 

Room assignments are made based on the date we receive your application, so the sooner you apply, the better your chances are of receiving the preferences you request. 

You can apply for housing once you have been admitted to WKU. You do not have to wait to attend the Topper Orientation Program (TOP) to apply for housing. 

Am I required to live on campus? 

Full time freshmen and sophomores are required to live on campus. Some exceptions apply.

View the full WKU Required Housing Policy

How do I apply for Housing at WKU?

Step 1: Read the Terms & Conditions

View the WKU Housing terms & conditions

Step 2: Complete the Housing Agreement

Upon execution of this agreement by both parties and payment of the deposit, this contract becomes effective and constitutes a binding agreement for the full academic year (fall and spring semesters), or the remaining portion thereof.

You can apply for housing online or through a paper application

Online Application (Debit/Credit Card):

* When applying online, have all of your information at hand so your session will not time out before you are finished.

  1. Login to your Topnet Account
  2. Click "Continue Login" at the bottom of the page.
  3. Click "New Student Housing Application and Deposit."
  4. Select the term for which you will need housing and click "Submit."
  5. Read the Terms and Conditions and click "I Agree."
  6. Complete the Registration Form and click "Add."
  7. Click "Make a Credit Card Payment" to pay your $150 housing deposit.
  8. Fill out the Credit Card Payment form and click "Submit Payment."

Paper Application (Check/Money Order):

  1. Pick up a Housing Agreement from the HRL office (18 Southwest Hall) or download and print an application (PDF).
  2. Review, complete and sign the Housing Agreement.
  3. Prepare a check or money order for the $150 housing deposit. Make all checks payable to WKU.
  4. Turn in your Housing Agreement to the HRL office or mail your Agreement to:
The Office of Housing
Western Kentucky University
1906 College Heights Blvd. #11093
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1093

Can I make changes to my housing application?

Yes, you can edit your housing application until March 31st.

if you applied online, you can edit your online application after you apply in Topnet by clicking the "New Student Housing Application and Deposit" link before March 31st. Changes made after March 31st may not be possible because assignments are being made after that date. 

If you applied through a paper application (by mail or on-site), you can edit your application by sending an email to Be sure to include your name, WKU-ID number, and requests for changes in the email. If you want to add a roommate to your application, include the requested roommate's name and WKU-ID number. 

Application change requests received by email after March 31 are unlikely to be granted due to assignments being made and space available, but will be noted on the student's application. Due to the large volume of application change requests submitted, we are unable to respond to those requests, but they will be added to your application.  

*Reminder - roommate requests must be mutual, so make sure you have both updated your applications with your roommate preference. 

What is the room assignment process?

About Room Assignments

The University agrees to determine room assignments based upon:

  • Date of receipt
  • Priority status
  • Mutual request for one another

Returning residents who renew their housing agreement prior to the established deadline are given "priority status" and are reassigned first. Incoming freshmen and transfer students are assigned next. Returning students who apply after the deadline are not guaranteed a hall/room assignment for the upcoming academic year.

The University makes all assignments without regard to race, sexual orientation or national origin, and rejects all requests for changes of assignments based upon these factors.

A resident may not sublease or rent a room assignment, or permit another person to share a private room assignment.

The University reserves the right to modify room assignments for disciplinary reasons, catastrophe, closing of the facility or unresolvable roommate incompatibility. This agreement may also be canceled by the University for disciplinary reasons. Students removed from University housing for disciplinary reasons will remain obligated to the terms of this agreement and any applicable fees.

If housing demand exceeds capacity, the University reserves the right to use a limited number of temporary room assignments on campus.

Room Change Requests

Residents must observe the room change procedures established by the University. They must have prior written approval before making a room change.

If a vacancy occurs in the assigned room, the remaining resident agrees to:

  • Seek out another roommate,
  • Accept another roommate as assigned,
  • Move to another room if requested,
  • or pay additional charges based upon lower occupancy of the room.

Private Rooms

If space is available, requests for private rooms will be approved on a first-come, first-serve basis. The resident of a private room agrees to pay the additional charges either before the semester begins or before the move is complete.

When will I receive my housing assignment?

If you apply by the March 31 priority deadline, you will likely receive your housing assignment in mid-June. Housing assignments are sent throughout the summer. Since assignments are made in date-received order, the earlier you apply, the earlier you will receive your assignment.

How will I receive my housing assignment?

When your housing assignment is ready to view, you will receive an email which will direct you to the WKU Housing Portal.

Once you are in the portal, you will need to confirm that you are planning to live on campus. If your plans have changed and you are no longer attending WKU, please choose the option to cancel your housing assignment.  

The housing portal will also give you the option to request a room change before the beginning of the academic year.

I received my housing assignment. Can I request a change? 

Yes. To request a change to your room assignment prior to the beginning of the semester, please do the following:

  1. Login to the WKU Housing Portal
  2. Select “View & Confirm Room Assignment”
  3. Select the term of your housing assignment and click “Save & Continue”
  4. Select “Confirm Room Assignment, Attending WKU” from the “Confirm Placement” dropdown menu and click “Save & Continue”
  5. Please choose an option in the dropdown menu to request a change (request a private room, request a different building, or request to be moved with roommate request) and click “Save & Continue”

Due to the high demand for housing, room changes will be very limited prior to the start of the fall semester. There are no guarantees but a few changes may be made as space permits. If you have previously requested a change, you do not need to request it again.

There is a room change request process after move-in if we are unable to grant your request during the summer. Learn more

What do I do if I need to cancel my Housing Agreement?

If your plans have changed and you are no longer planning to attend Western Kentucky University after you have submitted your housing application, send an email to to cancel your housing application. Please include your name and WKU Identification Number (800 number) with your request to cancel. 

If you need to cancel your Housing Agreement after you have received your housing assignment, please visit the WKU Housing Portal and do the following:

  1. Login to the WKU Housing Portal
  2. Select “View & Confirm Room Assignment”
  3. Select the term of your housing assignment and click “Save & Continue”
  4. Select “Cancel my housing – not attending WKU; not living on-campus” and click “Save and Continue”

View the Cancelation Policy

What is M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan and how do I sign up?

We highly recommend that all first-year WKU students register for M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan. 

The "Making Academic and Social Transitions Educationally Rewarding Plan" is a five-day transition program designed for the first-year residential student at Western Kentucky University. This exciting program provides a head start to your college career by assisting you in becoming acclimated to WKU and helping you to become connected to the campus community, faculty, staff, and other first-year students.

M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan includes informational sessions and interactive educational workshops that help you to enhance your skills for learning both inside and outside the classroom. Daily special events are designed to introduce you to the University's history and traditions to help you catch the WKU Spirit!

Campus interest sessions are designed to meet your specific needs and interests about different academic departments, student organizations, and campus services. Participation in M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan will help you meet other first-year students, building friendships, and provides you with the tools for building a foundation to be successful at WKU.

Sign up for M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 6/7/18