New Student Information
Apply Now to CIT!
CIT Program Description
CIT Career Outlook
CIT Tuition and Financing
CIT Advising & FAQ
Current Student Information
Change Your Major to CIT
CIT Advising & FAQ
CIT Course Availability
CIT iCAP Correction
WKU Schedule of Classes
WKU Transfer Credit Articulation
APA Style Tips
Choose a Career Path
CIT Occupations & Salaries
CIT Job Opportunities
CIT Student Portfolio Websites
CIT Student Work Showcase
Computer and Information Technology
Online Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Technology Degree
The online Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Technology degree helps students
earn the credentials needed to build a strong foundation in the computer information
technology industry. This is valuable because computer information technology has
become an integral part of modern life and business. And, as a result, careers in
the computer information technology field frequently exceed median pay and job growth
outlook. In fact, the 2016 median salaries for computer information technology jobs
ranged from $52,160 to $102,280 per year while the median family income for the same period was only $59,039!
For a detailed exploration of these careers, including future job outlook trends, see http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/home.htm
Why Choose to Learn Computer Information Technology @WKU?
- Transfer (2+2) students can complete the Bachelor's in Computer Information Technology degree with just 36 hours of CIT courses. Excellent CIT students can also complete the online Master of Science in Engineering Technology Management degree in just 21 more hours!
- The WKU Computer Information Technology program actively recruits IT students with AAS degrees, providing program credit for existing lower-level technology course hours. This can significantly reduce the overall student cost of a bachelor’s degree.
- Not only can the degree be completed quickly, but the Computer Information Technology
degree at WKU is completely online!
- And, CIT@WKU is ranked #13/500 by BestColleges.com as a best online bachelor's degree in computer information technology. WKU's online bachelor's programs are also ranked #2 by US News and World Report's Best Online Bachelor’s Programs (for 2015).
- In terms of technical skills, the Computer Information Technology degree is track free! It covers fundamental and advanced technologies in an elective format, allowing students to choose the courses that interest them the most.
- And, because the Computer Information Technology degree emphasizes the enhancement of student employability, in addition to traditional technical skills, the program also stresses the soft skills that many employers are looking for in top candidates.
- Many Computer Information Technology faculty teach for other schools of technology, which expands their technical and teaching expertise. In addition, some have years of applied industry experience, helping them share the real-world perspective with their students.
- In addition to faculty, many Computer Information Technology students are already working in the computer information technology field. This provides an opportunity for students with less experience to cross pollinate with experienced peers.
- The Computer Information Technology degree is regionally accredited, which means students will likely be able to transfer credit should they seek an advanced degree at a later date.
- The Computer Information Technology program has an arrangement with Microsoft Imagine, VMware, and Testout, providing students with professional-level developer, designer, and training tools at little or no additional cost.
To Get Started in Computer Information Technology
To get started, review the material under New-Student Information on the top menu. Then click on Apply Now to CIT!
For more information, please contact:Mark A. Revels, Ph.D., MS
CIT Academic Program Coordinator
EST, Rm 137
School of Eng. and Applied Sciences
Ogden College of Science and Eng.
Western Kentucky University
1906 College Heights Blvd. #51066
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1066
CIT@WKU is ranked in the Top 25 (of 500) by BestColleges.com. They said, "Western Kentucky University has built a quality online program for working professionals who seek more flexibility than can be found on campus." They go on to say that programs like ours allow students "to earn the credentials to build a strong foundation for their career."
WKU's online bachelor's programs are ranked #2 by US News and World Report's Best Online Bachelor’s Programs (for 2015)
Please join the CIT program in congratulating Robert T Johnson for winning the Outstanding Senior in Computer Information Technology at the 2018 Ogden College of Science and Engineering Student Awards Ceremony!
Please join the CIT program in congratulating Terence Martin for winning the Outstanding Senior in Computer Information Technology at the 2017 Ogden College of Science and Engineering Student Awards Ceremony!
Please join the CIT program in congratulating Timothy Carroll for winning the Outstanding Senior in Computer Information Technology at the 2016 Ogden College of Science and Engineering Student Awards Ceremony!
CIT@WKU is pleased to be recognized as an "outstanding online Bachelor's in Information Technology program" by BestColleges.com. They "reviewed over 500 not-for-profit, online programs, and Western Kentucky University rose to the top for 2015."
Please join the CIT program in congratulating Lucas Bragg for winning the Outstanding Senior in Computer Information Technology at the 2015 Ogden College of Science and Engineering Student Awards Ceremony!
Congratulations to student Roscoe Shelton for being selected by his fellow CIT300 students for having the best video explaining VMware Workstation installation. He is also the first student to have their work presented in the CIT Student Work Showcase.
CIT@WKU is proud to announce the Joint Undergraduate and Master's Degree Program (JUMP) for Engineering Technology Management (ETM). This program provides the opportunity for academically outstanding CIT students to complete their combined Bachelor of Science and Master of Science in Engineering Technology Management (MSETM) degrees in as little as five years (or less for transfer students). This is an excellent opportunity for 2+2 transfer students who wish to follow a management track and obtain an advanced degree. For more information, see https://www.wku.edu/cit/cit_jump.php